Allen County Public Library!

Allen County Public Library!
"Great Hall"

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

No ties for ACPL men?!

Q. Could the dress code be amended to eliminate the requirement that men
wear ties? This is the obvious trend in society today, including many
other libraries, such as New York Public.

Anonymous

A. Anonymous - Among the tentative HR Department objectives for 2008 is leading an effort to review and possibly revise the current "dress code". In my short time here at ACPL, I've already heard from some of my co-workers that the Wednesday "Jeans Day" is leaving too many of us not looking professional for our patrons. Now we have this suggestion for men losing their ties. Dress code debates are always lively. Most likely we'll be forming a team of folks next year to work this issue. Maybe you'd want to become more than "Anonymous" and be part of the group!?

Peter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to say that I strongly support the idea of making ties optional. If I only worked a reference desk I would be in a suit every day and loving it, but unfortunately I am a children's librarian, which means that I am constantly in programming which often require activities that are unhealthy for dress clothes. Add the fact that I work in a branch and have to spend a significant portion of my work week shelving, ordering book carts, doing mail, and other messy jobs, my tie just tends to get in the way more often than not. If I could wear khakis and a polo shirt it would make it much easier and more comfortable for me to do my job without me having to worry about ruining my nice clothes. I am not at all suggesting that we put in a dress code that includes jeans and a t-shirt, but I do think it is possible to look professional and well put together without having to wear a tie. Thanks for your time.

Nate - ABT Children's Librarian